Habits of Mind for Academic Success and Beyond – Online Professional Development Course
This 3-credit online course for teachers demonstrates how to help students of all ages develop healthy habits that can help them succeed in the classroom and in life.
LAUSD Course Code: NA-17-08
UMass Global University Course Code: EDDU 9779
Have you observed that some students have particular habits that promote their learning and success, while others seem to lack these important habits? In addition to teaching academic content, do you strive to instill kindness, resilience, perseverance, and other valuable characteristics in your students? Wouldn’t you love to have a classroom full of students who are attentive, respectful, and innovative and who love to take calculated risks, listen attentively, and work well with others? If so, then you’ll appreciate this online class on habits of mind.
Designed for all types of teachers, this professional development course provides an in-depth look at universal factors of success – learning and study habits that can be formed through guidance and practice. Once students adopt these behaviors, when faced with challenges, they’ll be able to triumph over adversity, behave with integrity, and fulfill their potential.
The online course for teachers covers a variety of success habits, including:
- self control and managing impulsivity
- attentive and deliberate listening
- metacognition (understanding your own thought process)
- curiosity, questioning, and inquiry
- responsible, learned optimism
- making the most of mistakes
- welcoming challenges through a growth mindset
- accountability and taking ownership
- working and learning interdependently
- imagination, innovation, and creativity
- audacity and responsible risk-taking
This 3-credit online course is approved by LAUSD for salary points and by other districts in California for professional development credits or graduate-level credits available through University of Massachusetts Global. You can check with your school district to find out which professional development credit type you need.
The course is comprised of 3 units. For each unit, you’ll read a lesson, watch a video, take a quiz, and complete an assignment. Throughout the professional development course, you’ll post your responses in an online discussion forum, for interaction with other teachers who are taking the online course.
Here’s what some teachers had to say about how Habits of Mind for Academic Success & Beyond impacted their teaching career:
“One important idea that I gained through this class is that habits of mind are skills that we can practice to get better. No one is born with it, but we can all obtain it through perseverance and practice. This is a good point that I can relate to my students.”
“Understanding that humor is part of habits of mind, and it can help students with retention skills, I decided to utilize humor in my instruction even more. Also, growth mindset attitude will be enforced in my class for students’ healthy mind, soul, and brain.”
In this online course, you’ll learn about habits of mind and how to instill and reinforce healthy, positive behaviors in students.
Number of Professional Development Credits / Salary Points
Teachers throughout California and the U.S. can earn 3 professional development credits by completing this online course or 3 graduate level credits (awarded through University of Massachusetts Global, formerly known as Brandman University). This course is also worth 3 salary points awarded by the LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District), depending on the credit type you choose.
This course is designed for all types of Pre-K through 12th grade teachers, including: early childhood education teachers, elementary school teachers, middle school teachers, high school teachers, special education teachers, staff, and administrators.
NA-17-08 is the LAUSD course code for Habits of Mind for Academic Success, which you’ll need to use to get credit for salary points from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).
Here’s additional information about the Habits of Mind for Academic Success online professional development course:
- This course is 100% online – the coursework and interaction.
- You’ll have six months to complete all of your coursework from the date that you purchase this online course. If you’re enrolled in three or more 3-credit online courses simultaneously, upon request, you’ll be allowed one year to complete the course.
- Once you’ve successfully completed the Habits of Mind for Academic Success course, you’ll earn 3 LAUSD salary points, 3 professional development credits, or 3 graduate-level professional development credits.
If you have any questions about the Habits of Mind for Academic Success course, or any of our other professional development online courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re interested in Habits of Mind for Academic Success, you might also like these related online courses:
- Creating A Conducive Learning Environment Through Building Healthy Relationships (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
- Closing Gaps In Education and Achievement (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
Disclaimer: This online professional development class has been approved by the LAUSD and UTLA Joint Salary Point Credit Committee. Please note, however, that the LAUSD does not endorse this online class provider over any other.