Lifting Every Voice through Creative Writing and Publishing – Online Professional Development Course
This 3-credit online course for teachers shows you how to foster creativity in students (and yourself) through creative writing and publishing.
If you’ve noticed creativity in your students and/or have experienced the joy and power of creative writing in your own life, you’ll love this professional development course for teachers.
In this online class, you’ll have the opportunity to find your own voice through creative writing, and you’ll learn how to guide your students through the same experience.
Creative writing can serve as a positive outlet for students and have a profound impact on their self-image and mental health. And thanks to technology and the Internet, publishing and self-publishing has never been easier. In this course on creative writing and publishing, you’ll learn about technology, tools, resources, and websites for publication of writing.
Different types of creative writing will be covered in the course, including: journaling, blogging, fictional narrative, poetry, and personal narratives.
Designed for all types of teachers, this online professional development course covers a range of creative writing topics including:
- the history of creative writing in the classroom
- using journaling and blogging to reinforce critical thinking skills
- fiction writing (plot, characters, scenes, character development, point of view, and more)
- poetry (which offers a great opportunity for expansion of reading skills and vocabulary skills)
- personal narratives and counter-narratives
- collaboration in creative writing (including how to critique other people’s work)
- applying creative writing to Common Core Standards (CCS)
- grading creative writing portfolios
- publishing students’ creative writing projects (online and in book form)
In the final project in this online professional development course, you’ll apply your own creativity to communicate your teaching philosophy.
This 3-credit online course is approved by LAUSD for salary points and by other districts in California for professional development credits or graduate-level credits available through Brandman University. You can check with your school district to find out which professional development credit type you need.
The course is comprised of 10 units. For each unit, you’ll read a lesson, watch a video, take a quiz, and complete an assignment. Throughout the professional development course, you’ll post your responses in an online discussion forum, for interaction with other teachers who are taking the online course.
|“The workshop opened my eyes to new ways of implementing creative writing into my classroom.“|
|“I appreciated this workload because it was manageable to complete as a full time teacher and mom!”|
|“This workshop allowed me to become a better writing instructor. I was really excited to implement all of the strategies and resources!”|
|“I love writing and what I learned will help me inspire students to use their voice through writing.”|
|“Writing can be difficult for many students. This course provided me with many approaches to teaching writing that I can use in my classroom.”|
(5 Stars) “I never knew creative writing could be so fun, engaging, therapeutic, and eye-opening. This class taught me to love my own creativity and awakened me to techniques of how to help students find their personal creative voice through writing.”
In this online course, you’ll learn how to teach students creative writing and publishing, as well as how to foster creativity.
Number of Professional Development Credits / Salary Points
Teachers throughout California and the U.S. can earn 3 professional development credits by completing this online course or 3 graduate level credits (awarded through Brandman University in Irvine, California). This course is also worth 3 salary points awarded by the LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District), depending on the credit type you choose.
Click here to download the syllabus for this online professional development course on creative writing and publishing.
This course is designed for all types of Pre-K through 12th grade teachers, including: early childhood education teachers, elementary school teachers, middle school teachers, high school teachers, special education teachers, staff, and administrators.
LAUSD Course Code NA-05-130
NA-05-130 is the LAUSD course code for Creative Writing and Publishing, which you’ll need to use to get credit for salary points from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).
Here’s additional information about the Creative Writing and Publishing online professional development course:
- This course is 100% online – the coursework and interaction.
- You’ll have six months to complete all of your coursework from the date that you purchase this online course. If you’re enrolled in three or more 3-credit online courses simultaneously, upon request, you’ll be allowed one year to complete the course.
- Once you’ve successfully completed the Creative Writing and Publishing course, you’ll earn 3 LAUSD salary points, 3 professional development credits, or 3 graduate-level professional development credits.
If you have any questions about the Creative Writing and Publishing course, or any of our other professional development online courses, please email [email protected].
If you’re interested in Creative Writing and Publishing, you might also like these related online courses:
- Arts Integration for Equity and Excellence – Music (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
- Lifting Every Voice through Academic Discourse and Public Speaking (1 credit / LAUSD Salary Point)
Disclaimer: This online professional development class has been approved by the LAUSD and UTLA Joint Salary Point Credit Committee. Please note, however, that the LAUSD does not endorse this online class provider over any other.
“If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.” – Martin Luther