Movement for Improvement – Online Professional Development Course
This 3-credit online course for teachers introduces the benefits of movement and how it can have a positive impact on students of all ages.
LAUSD Course Code NA-11-113
Are your students restless? Do they struggle to stay engaged for the entire class period? Would you, too, like more exercise, even when you’re on your feet all day? If so, you’ll enjoy discovering how movement can help improve learning.
Our most popular professional development course for teachers, Movement for Improvement shows you the positive impact that movement can have on learning, student behavior, classroom management, and the health of you and your students.
According to John Ratey, M.D., author of SPARK: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and The Brain, “Exercise is the single most powerful tool that you have to optimize your brain function.” in this course, you’ll earn how to put that tool to use in the classroom, in fun and creative ways.
Designed for all types of teachers, this online professional development course covers different aspects of movement, including:
- how movement impacts the brain and learning
- the effects of movement on physical and mental health
- using movement as a classroom management tool
- building unity through movement
- movement and teaching (in all content areas)
- how movement can give the brain a much-needed break
- movement and multiculturalism
- how movement can help you thrive as a teacher
- sharing a learning activity involving movement
This 3-credit online course is approved by LAUSD for salary points and by other districts in California for professional development credits or graduate-level credits available through Brandman University. You can check with your school district to find out which professional development credit type you need.
The course is comprised of 10 units. For each unit, you’ll read a lesson, watch a video, take a quiz, and complete an assignment. Throughout the professional development course, you’ll post your responses in an online discussion forum, for interaction with other teachers who are taking the online course.
|“This helped tremendously in my classroom because it gave me ideas of how I could include movement in my daily schedule. I saw increased student engagement, and it wasn’t that hard to do. I have learned the importance of regular movement and will continue this practice in my future teaching.”|
|“I never realized just how much movement affects your brain. The information was so interesting and has compelled me to be a lot more active with my students and in my life.”|
|“I really enjoyed this course! By far, the best I have ever taken in my teaching career!! Thank you so much!!”|
|“This workshop was all related to my job. As an educator, I seek for courses to improve my teaching practices. This course provided infinite examples and research base of the importance of movement in the classroom.”|
|“I didn’t realize how important it was to incorporate movement in the classroom. This course offered me the opportunity to learn and come to understand the content and how crucial it is in the classroom. I am definitely going to try to implement everything that I have learned, as much as possible.”|
In this online course, you’ll learn how movement can enhance learning and how to incorporate movement into your classroom activities.
Number of Professional Development Credits / Salary Points
Teachers throughout California and the U.S. can earn 3 professional development credits by completing this online course or 3 graduate level credits (awarded through Brandman University in Irvine, California). This course is also worth 3 salary points awarded by the LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District), depending on the credit type you choose.
This course is designed for all types of Pre-K through 12th grade teachers, including: early childhood education teachers, elementary school teachers, middle school teachers, high school teachers, special education teachers, staff, and administrators.
NA-11-113 is the LAUSD course code for Movement for Improvement, which you’ll need to use to get credit for salary points from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).
Here’s additional information about the Movement for Improvement online professional development course:
- This course is 100% online – the coursework and interaction.
- You’ll have six months to complete all of your coursework from the date that you purchase this online course. If you’re enrolled in three or more 3-credit online courses simultaneously, upon request, you’ll be allowed one year to complete the course.
- Once you’ve successfully completed the Movement for Improvement course, you’ll earn 3 LAUSD salary points, 3 professional development credits, or 3 graduate-level professional development credits.
If you have any questions about the Movement for Improvement course, or any of our other professional development online courses, please email [email protected].
If you’re interested in Movement for Improvement, you might also like these related online courses:
- Habits of Mind for Academic Success and Beyond (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
- Closing Gaps in Education and Achievement (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
- Creating A Conducive Learning Environment through Building Healthy Relationships (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
Disclaimer: This online professional development class has been approved by the LAUSD and UTLA Joint Salary Point Credit Committee. Please note, however, that the LAUSD does not endorse this online class provider over any other.