Personalizing Learning – Online Professional Development Course
LAUSD Course Code: NA-11-133
UMass Global University Course Code: EDDU 9780
Do you agree with the idea that education can’t be delivered through a “one size fits” all approach, yet struggle with how to customize your instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners? If so, then this online class on personalized learning is perfect for you.
Designed for all types of teachers, this professional development course for teachers covers personalized learning strategies, models, and examples, including:
- different types of personalized learning (including data-driven instruction, student-centered instruction, and inquiry-driven instruction)
- advanced pedagogical methods that lend themselves to personalized learning (including community-based learning, problem-based learning, and blended learning)
- technology tools to support personalized learning
- effective assessment practices that are individualized
This 3-credit online course is approved by LAUSD for salary points and by other districts in California for professional development credits or graduate-level credits available through University of Massachusetts Global. You can check with your school district to find out which professional development credit type you need.
This course is comprised of 12 units. For each unit, you’ll read a lesson, watch a video, take a quiz, and complete an assignment. Throughout the professional development course, you’ll post your responses in an online discussion forum, for interaction with other teachers who are taking the online course.
Here’s what some teachers had to say about how Personalizing Learning impacted their teaching career:
“All of the information was of great value. I found many of the videos very inspiring. There were many examples of best practices, and it makes me believe I can be a better educator. Some of the standouts for me were: Chris Emdin, Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot, Rita Pierson, the school that showed community-based learning, and Dan Meyer’s talk regarding math practices.”
“This course helped me learn a lot about myself as a teacher and how I do not have to be the one that does all the talking and teaching. I need to learn to step back and give my students more control to explore contents of their choice.”
“I am so excited to utilize project-based learning, community-based learning and authentic learning with my kiddos. I know it will be personalized for their needs, motivating and authentic. Thank you for this invaluable course; I feel like I will never teach the same again! It’s about relationships with my kiddos first, and content next.”
This 3-credit online course for teachers will show you how to deliver personalized instruction for students of all ages.
In this online course, you’ll learn about the benefits of personalized learning and how to apply “best practices” for personalized learning in the classroom.
Number of Professional Development Credits / Salary Points
Teachers throughout California and the U.S. can earn 3 professional development credits by completing this online course or 3 graduate level credits (awarded through University of Massachusetts Global, formerly known as Brandman University). This course is also worth 3 salary points awarded by the LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District), depending on the credit type you choose.
This course is designed for all types of Pre-K through 12th grade teachers, including: early childhood education teachers, elementary school teachers, middle school teachers, high school teachers, special education teachers, staff, and administrators.
NA-11-133 is the LAUSD course code for Personalizing Learning, which you’ll need to use to get credit for salary points from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).
Here’s additional information about the Personalizing Learning online professional development course:
- This course is 100% online – the coursework and interaction.
- You’ll have six months to complete all of your coursework from the date that you purchase this online course. If you’re enrolled in three or more 3-credit online courses simultaneously, upon request, you’ll be allowed one year to complete the course.
- Once you’ve successfully completed the Personalizing Learning course, you’ll earn 3 LAUSD salary points.
If you have any questions about the Personalizing Learning course, or any of our other professional development online courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re interested in Personalizing Learning, you might also like these related online courses:
- Creating A Conducive Learning Environment Through Building Healthy Relationships (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
- Closing Gaps In Education And Achievement (3 credits / LAUSD Salary Points)
- Formative Assessments To Heighten Engagement, Guide Instruction, And Improve Learning (1 credit / LAUSD Salary Point)
Disclaimer: This online professional development class has been approved by the LAUSD and UTLA Joint Salary Point Credit Committee. Please note, however, that the LAUSD does not endorse this online class provider over any other.